Sunday 13 November 2011

Declaration of the Black Rhino's Extinction

There are no Black Rhinos left. I'm sorry. They are gone. They've been on the brink of oblivion for years, and now all the radio collars have been found, and there are no living black rhinos in the wild.
  When we are older, and our kids, or the kids of our friends ask "Why is a White Rhino called a White Rhino?" our reply will be "Because they are different from Black Rhinos." 
"What is a Black Rhino?" the child will ask, and our reply will be,
"A dark coloured rhino, which no longer exists."
"Why doesn't it exist?"
"Poachers killed them all."
"Couldn't you stop them?"
"No." But there may be a niggling thing at the back of your head. They used to do adventure programs on CBBC, where you could sign up on the website to go to distant lands to save animals ('Serious Amazon' was a show where kids went and saved apes for instance.) If only I'd been bothered to go on one of those trips.
I swear, if I live 'till I'm old enough to go to Uni, I'm going on a gap year to work somewhere, protecting wildlife. I don't care if I get the heeby jeebies from big insects, or if I hate warm weather; I'm going away and saving some damn wildlife!
In that video you can see the conservation of black rhinos. However, in captivity black rhinos rarely breed (white rhinos are fine with breeding. They can be as productive as cattle) and they usually don't enjoy captivity. (as you can see by that snorting bellowing young bull) (unlike animals such as tapirs, which adapt to love humans as the godly food bringers)  
Dark Dragon

No comments: