Saturday 25 February 2012

Game Review

Punched through the crust of the dry earth is a deep lakebed, the sides of which are tall cliffs. The air is thick with black foul air; the smog of the forgotten realm of a sleeping giant. A geyser goes off, adding white steam to the dark mass of polluted air. A forboding shape moves forward into the jet.
A creature, taller than... anything, moves out of the murk. The ninth colossus I've faced, and the ninth to fall. The legs of the creature come out next, knees pointing away from the body like a giant bug, the limbs attachted to a spikey mass.
The animal's face is like a bullfrog's, only made of solid stone and covered in small spikes. The whole beast is made of stone, as if an ornate building decided to get up and walk. The creature is looking at me with its small blue eyes.
Come and get me, if you think you can take it.
It stands still, then raises its head up to the stormy sky. Three circles of light buzz with electricity on its chin, and then projectiles as fast as lightning fly from the monster towards me. I roll and dodge.
Then it watches me again. I pull out my bow and nock an arrow. Aim. Release.
The creature grumbles like a thunderstorm and plods forwards, and I run.

I hear the sweet sound of steam shooting out of the earth. Looking back I see the gigantic mass of the colossus lifted into the air, and it mumbles with surprise, tucking its legs into itself like an injured spider, so I run at it.
A voice speaking in an ancient tongue echoes across time and space; it tells me that I should aim for the limbs supporting the floating colossus. I nock another arrow and see lime-green joints beneath its ankles. I shoot, the beast whimpers. The foot curls in on itself. I repeat the process with the other foot, and the colossus falls, rolling onto its back like a titanic beetle. Finally is collapses onto its side. It's broad stone back with a walkway from tail to head is facing me like a cliff. I walk up and see...
There's no handholds. Great. An hour of gaming, and luring the slow dopy giant across the area over a geyser and I can't find a way to climb on and stab its weak points.


There are good sides and downsides to Shadow of The Colossus. Actually there's just good sides. 
Yes, as a giant stone crow flings you across the map, making you lose health and curse life itself you hate the game. And as you knock over a giant creature only to find a lack of handholds you wish you never started playing.  But... It's the satisfaction afterwards you get.
Even when you murder the beautiful sea serpent, or the awe-inspiring giant-horse-with-dreadlocks-and-rib-bones, you feel good. Even when killing a crocodile-gecko that breathes orange gas, even when bringing down the wonderful long-tailed crow; no matter how amazing the beast, during the heat of battle you feel hatred towards things to large they'll kill you before they notice you. You enjoy the colossus slaying. It's addictive.
The game is set in an epic landscape, where a boy wearing an epic poncho talks to some epic gods who tell him to slay epic monsters on an epic quest to save his girlfriend. Riding a black mare and carrying an ancient sword, you set off on a journey that makes you...
It's just an epic game.
If you have a playstation 2, seek out Shadow of The Colossus.


Dark Dragon

No comments: