Tuesday 24 July 2012

Comic Con and Toilet Flies

For those of you who do not want to hear about my Comic-Con shennanigans, here is a true-story paragraph about something different:
Every night for the past two weeks a large fly has landed in my toilet. Either a horse fly, a house fly, once a blue bottle... Sometimes the toilet lid was closed. Every fly was alive and squiring, and I had to fish it out with some toilet paper. I think it is a bit weird, as it has been too cold for any windows in the house to be open, save for the window in my brother's bathroom, a whole short flight of stairs below. Anyhow, my bathroom door is kept closed. But a few times I have found it wide open, and hear the sad buzzing of something struggling to break away from the water's surface in my toilet. Any ideas about this strange occurence?
Now, Comic Con.
here are some things of note:


Storm Troopers
Upon arriving at the con my friends Freya and Aro and I had to join a loooonnnnnnggggg queue. The Comic Con staff were all dressed as Storm Troopers. Aro and I debated loudly whether they would be clones underneath their armor, because I was keen to live in suspended belief, and she was keen to live in the truth: they were merely cosplayers. We turned around and two Storm Troopers were watching us; "We are watching you" they said, to which I replied (with a Jedi wave of my hand) "We are not the droids you are looking for." Everyone laughed.


The Amazing Queue
Cosplayers everywhere dressed as every character imaginable, from Doctor Who (the one near us in the queue smoked an actual pipe) to creepers. At one point a Spiderman ran up to another Spiderman and jumped on his back. after much scuffling the Spiderman's bags were left with his friends in the queue and an epic battle stared. It was hilarious and epic. Also, I at one point said to Freya "Hey look, that guy over there has runic tattoos!" (I am a huge fan of runes, from Fe to Othel) he heard someone mention runes, asked who it was and then we high-fived. His cosplay was amazing, and strangely familiar. Freya thought it was a Dark Eldar from Warhammer 40K, but I wasn't sure (I'm sorry to say I thought it was a blue necron. I am very silly at times) we met him again later, and found out he was indeed a Dark Eldar. He said he thought more people would have Warhammer 40K Cosplays. i was like, "Ah, well I wore a Cthulhu T-shirt in the hope that someone knew of Cthulhu." He said "Cthulhu Fhatagn!" and walked away. There were many similar amazing people at the con. Too. Much. Awesome!


Anne Stokes
'Copperwing': the design I got on a
signed poster. Anne Stoke's Website is:
http://www.annestokes.com/
I. met. Anne. Stokes. And she signed a book called 'Stoked' for me, and a poster! I shook her hand! (For those of you who do not know, Anne Stokes is an amazing gothic and fantasy artist) I asked her what she preferred to draw out of dragons and fairies and angels and demons and vampires, and she said 'dragons'. That made me happy. Wow.


Homestuckers
My friend Freya had come cosplaying as Vriska, a troll from Homestuck. I do not read/watch Homestuck, but I know that people dressed with grey skin, black wigs and colourful horns were trolls. The Homestuckers all had a huge meaning outside the building at one point. It was amazing, even if I had no idea what was going on.


Overall, Comic Con was AMAZZZZZZING. The Halo shirt I got there (it has the Elite's head on crossed blades on a shield, the 'legendary' symbol) smells of Comic Con: it smells like Forbidden Planet and Games Workshop, only cleaner, and friendlier. At Comic Con rules like "Don't talk to strangers" and "Go out wearing normal clothes" and "Don't talk about all your nerdy stuff in public" do not apply. It is freedom itself.
Even if it took three hours to get to Manchester and three to get back.


Dark Dragon

No comments: