Sunday 8 April 2012

EASTER

Happy Easter everyone! Eaten enough chocolate? Hmmm? 


Over the past few days I've been playing Divinity 2; a highly addictive and delicious game. A few years ago, I got 'Divinity 2: Ego Draconis', a game that allows you to turn into a dragon. Fun, until you realise that you have to play until past half of the game to fully unlock your draconic powers. But until then, there are side-quests galore, funny characters with exaggerated accents and a million frustrating enemies.
For Christmas, I got 'Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga'; which is Ego Draconis and its sequel, Flames of Vengence. This was good, because Ego Draconis ended with the world ending: you help the bad guys through the entire game, and the voice in your head is not Talana, the dragon knight, but Ygerna, Damien's evil wife. You cause the end of the world. [spoiler]
Any how, the past few days I've been playing the sequel, and as is traditional with Divinity 2 games, it has been a slow and hard journey to walk across the dead-infested streets of Aleroth. Divinity 2 is the kind of game where 'saving' the game file is more that just something you do before you switch off; it is a survival strategy. You need to save, or you will die. If you are a level 36 fighting a level 37, it will sneeze your limbs off without noticing.


But now? Now I'm playing Mass Effect, kindly lent to me, along with more Assassin's Creed games, by Mcdogface. Yayyyyyyy!
Mass Effect is a game set in the future, in a time when humans have discovered ways to travel around space at the speed of light. The humans have teamed up with aliens to form a shaky Alliance. You get to play as Commander Shepherd, a gormless person who refuses to do as you say. After encountering an ancient artifact, Shepherd sees some interesting images: random flashes of red and metal. Very inconclusive.
When asked what I saw, I chose the option "Oh, I just had a nightmare", which caused the camera to zoom in on my face dramatically, while Shepherd said "I...I had a vision."
What? I clearly picked 'it was just a nightmare'!!! Later, when asked about the 'vision' I chose the option 'I'm not to sure', meaning that I didn't quite know what I saw. Shepherd seemed to decide that my choice was wrong, and that I, in fact, saw (dramatic camera angle)  "Death... They were killing us... It was horrible... I think it was the Geth, I think there will be a war..." 
WHAT??!
The funny thing about Mass Effect is that you can choose what kind of traumatic past  your character had. I tried to give mine a sheltered life; I wasn't a War Hero or a Last Survivor, but a stuck-up and ruthless soldier following in my parents footsteps. There were options to have had all your family turned into slaves, or to make you an orphan, but I avoided them.
There are nice aliens of Mass Effect called turians. They  look pretty, but all talk like they are on an episode of Star Treck, and so far don't have personalities. But they do have fangs, and cute cat-mouths and glowing green eyes. D'awwwwwww. :'D


Dark Dragon

No comments: